North South Wines announces partnership with Scheid Family Wines
- North South Wines, one of the UK’s fastest growing wine agencies, is delighted to announce its new agency partnership with Scheid Family Wines, the family-owned and operated wine producer based in Monterey County, California. North South Wines will exclusively represent the Scheid Family Wines brands across all trade channels in the UK.
Founded in 1972 by Al Scheid, who has since been joined in the business by his son Scott and daughter Heidi, Scheid Family Wines has evolved over 47 years from being a grape grower that sells 100% of its production, into an innovative, grapes-to-glass family business that crafts authentic and elegant wines. Scheid Family Wines now boasts 12 estate vineyards, totalling 4,000 acres, located along a 70-mile spread of the Salinas Valley in Monterey County.
Scheid Family Wines is committed to sustainability throughout its operations. All its estate vineyards are officially Certified Sustainable, all wastewater is recycled, and all grape must is composted and spread as nutrition in the vineyards, which benefit entirely from drip irrigation. 100% of the power needed to run the winery and bottling operations is generated using wind via the Scheid Family’s own wind turbine.
“We are thrilled to be working with Scheid Family Wines, a business that shares our ‘Keen to be Green’ values and commitment to sustainability and innovation,” commented Joy Edmondson, Buying & Marketing Director at North South Wines. “The addition of such a prestigious Californian producer brings a new dimension to our portfolio and the North South Wines team is excited at the prospect of representing proven and award-winning wine ranges that offer outstanding quality.”
“My father, Al Scheid, first planted vineyards in Monterey County in early 1972,” said Heidi M. Scheid, Executive Vice President of Scheid Family Wines. “Since that time, we have been a leader in the California wine industry with a focus on environmental stewardship and the well-being of our employees and local community. Our single wind turbine generates 100% of the power needed to run our entire winery operation. We are excited to be working with North South Wines, a team that embraces our traditions of family, sustainability, outstanding value and world-class wines.”
Initially, North South Wines will launch four unique Scheid Family brand ranges to be held in UK stock:
• District 7 – A range which celebrates the diverse flavours of Monterey, its name derived from the official viticultural designation for the region. To take full advantage of Monterey’s wide range of terroirs, fruit is sourced from sustainably farmed, 100% estate-owned vineyards within the region’s four climatic zones. The wines show varietal-typicity of outstanding quality, reflecting the essence of the fruit. The four wines in the District 7 range include a Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Cabernet Sauvignon and Pinot Noir. Range RRP £14.00.
• Ryder Estate – The Ryder Estate wines are crafted from Scheid Family Wines’ sustainably farmed estate vineyards on California’s golden Central Coast. The Central Coast is blessed with cool ocean air that blankets the vineyards in the early morning until the warm sun peaks through the clouds in the afternoon. This wonderful combination of sea, sunshine and soil makes perfect growing conditions for the grapes to develop intense ﬂavors and elegant character that is true to each varietal. The Ryder Estate range is comprised of a Sauvignon Blanc, a Pinot Noir and a Merlot. Range RRP £14.00.
• Ranch 32 - Ranch 32 showcases the best wines from the Scheid Family estate vineyards located in select AVAs (American Viticultural Areas) of Monterey County. It is about crafting wines of tremendous depth and character that reflect their origin. Ranch 32 is the taste of place. The Ranch 32 wines include an Arroyo Seco Chardonnay, an Arroyo Seco Pinot Noir and a Monterey Cabernet Sauvignon. Range RRP £20.00.
• Metz Road – The Scheid Family philosophy behind the award-winning Metz Road wines was to craft a single vineyard Pinot Noir and Chardonnay that exemplify the very best of Monterey. The namesake Metz Road runs alongside the Scheid Family Riverview Vineyard. Located adjacent to the Pinnacles National Park, overlooking the Salinas River, it is a Burgundian landscape dramatically influenced by the proximity of the Monterey Bay. Range RRP from £24.00.
For more information or images contact:
Marianne Fillion, North South Wines = Tel: 020 3871 9210 / 07741 739 920
About North South Wines
North South Wines, one of the UK’s fastest growing wine agencies, was founded by Kim Wilson and Joy Edmondson in 2014. The company is 52% owned by management and 48% owned by producer shareholders, including De Bortoli Wines from Australia and The Wine People in Italy. North South Wines now represents more than 25 wineries from 11 different countries, with sales of 1.07 million 9-litre cases per year and a turnover of £19.6 million, which represents a year-on-year growth of 42%. Starting with a team of four, the business now has a full-time staff of 18, operating across multiple channels, with customised portfolios aimed at each sector.
North South Wines is a dynamic agency with its ‘Fingers on the Pulse’, making sure it spots future trends which help its clients to stay ahead in their markets. It is fast moving and thinking, able to identify opportunities and offer solutions to customers much more rapidly than larger competitors with multiple layers of management. North South Wines is energetic, and it adds value, actively looking for exciting and innovative products which take advantage of market opportunities to help its customers grow their businesses. For more information please visit www.northsouthwines.co.uk.
About Scheid Family Wines
Scheid Family Wines has farmed wine grapes in Monterey County, California since 1972. With 4,000 acres of sustainably-certified vineyards located along a 70-mile spread of the Salinas Valley and a state-of-the-art winery, Scheid Family Wines is fully-integrated to bring high quality estate grown wines to the marketplace. The Scheid Family Wines nationally-distributed portfolio includes Scheid Vineyards, District 7, Ryder Estate, Ranch 32, Metz Road, VDR, Stokes’ Ghost and Roku. In addition, Scheid Family Wines produces over 20 regionally distributed brands for specific clients or distributors. For more information please visit www.scheidfamilywines.com.